Module 4

 Part One: Educational Goals

My goal in the CS program is to gain a well-rounded computer science skillset that will prepare me for a career as a software engineer. Looking at course descriptions for courses available within the program, and my own experience outside the classroom, I believe this goal is achievable. I also plan to complete at least one internship by the end of next summer. Based on conversations with recruiters, I've learned that internship experience will greatly increase my chances of obtaining a full-time position. Also, I see it as part of my education, since it would involve learning new skills that I can use towards a future career. I'm planning on applying to as many companies as possible and practicing questions related to data structures and algorithms.


Part Two: Career Goals

My career goals after graduation are to become a software engineer at a tech company. Once I become a software engineer, I plan to keep learning outside of work, brushing up on software skills not directly-related to my current job. After a few years of experience, I would also like to try my hand at entrepreneurship. It doesn't require much money to start a software business, and I just need a good idea. However, I think good ideas come from recognizing opportunities, and that will be easier to do with more experience as a professional engineer. I plan to pursue entrepreneurship while working for a tech company.


Part Three: The ETS Computer Science Test

I feel good about the ETS computer science test, considering my current year in school. If I were to take it right now, I would expect to score somewhere around the 50th percentile due to my knowledge of programming, algorithms and complexity, and software engineering. If I had the chance to review what I've learned in past classes about systems and discrete structures, I could maybe improve to the 70th percentile.


Part Four: Overview of Learning

In this week's module, we continued to learn about ethics, and how to make claims within ethical frameworks in argumentative essays. I enjoy the topic of ethics because it forces me to think about my own positions on different issues, and how I would defend them. It also helps me see how those with different opinions can come to their own conclusions, and technically we could both be right depending on the frameworks we're using to decide on our respective positions. I feel it's a good exercise for navigating conflicts.

Comments

  1. Hello Guillermo,

    You have a good head start towards your goal since you are already chatting with recruiters for internships this summer. Your networking skills are already going to come in handy when it comes to landing a job after this program. It is great that you want to be a software engineer after graduation and eventually start your own business. It would be a good idea to keep track of your ideas on your projects related to software development and possible business ventures in your portfolio. It is going to be important to recognize the opportunities that are presented to you. It sounds like you have a great plan set for yourself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Guillermo,

    As you mentioned, internships are extremely beneficial. They are key to securing future employment. You are on the right track! I recommend keeping a track of your accomplishments as well. This practice will prove helpful during interviews with recruiters, saving you time and highlighting your achievements. Additionally, creating connections through networking will contribute to your entrepreneurial journey. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Memo,

    I think you are wise to prioritize getting an internship and building up your portfolio, which I am committed to as well. We can both acquire the needed skills for this from the CS online program, I think. We also share similar career goals of getting some experience and then shifting towards more entrepreneurial endeavors. The great part is that the possibilities are practically endless when it comes to forming software companies. A cool area to go into would be artificial intelligence, and it is something I am thinking of. Good luck and remember to remain disciplined in your studies, everyone in our group is killing it so far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Module 8

Module 3